Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Why do I never update this anymore?

I've been as busy as ever lately, trying to sort out school stuff, shoot my project, and greet visitors with a smile. My father and brother are in the region right now (in Vienna at this very moment), and my uncle Craig and his family were here a few weeks back. My project, A Dinner Party, is now in postproduction, and I've got a horde of visitors in the coming weeks.

Regardless, I did do a bit of travel in the last few months within the Czech Republic, and I haven't posted anything about these places. Some of the stuff's been in and around Prague, and other stuff's been a bit further.

Around Prague, a few weeks back, I was able to go to a party for the Czech TV station called Nova. It had students from schools all around the Czech Republic. Free food and drinks, plenty of people, and a spectacular location for a party: right on the Charles Bridge.



I had some time that weekend, so I decided to go to a place I'd heard about for months, but never dared to go before: Kutna Hora.
This is the legendary bone ossuary where they turned a pile of plague and war bones into art. There's nothing like it anywhere else, and it's a little bit creepy and a little bit funny. If you're ever in the area, it's one of those things you mostly have to see to believe.

They say that the chandelier holds every bone in the human body. I'm willing to take their word for it.

Best. Signature. Ever.
I was able to befriend two nice Australians who were doing their own tour of Europe before entering the real world while I was there. By the time we were out of the ossuary, we had all decided that the only word for that place is "bizarre."

The following week, the Czech film Normal premiered in Prague at the Lucerna theater. My Cinematography instructor, Antonio Riestra, was the Director of Photography for the film, and he got Eirik and me into the premiere. It's a pretty disturbing storyline about a serial killer in Dusseldorf, but it's a pretty solid film. And the premiere was quite spectacular.


Shortly after that excursion, I went off to Moravia with Iain and Anna, two friends I have from Pisek, who live there. Iain's from Canada and Anna's Czech. They showed me the glorious eastern side of this place. It's beautiful. There's a different feel to Moravia than Bohemia... it's just a more relaxed area.

While we were there, we went to Olomouc.

Olomouc is a very old city, famous for its bizarre statues involving dolphin love:

Couldn't explain this if I tried.

It also has an astronomical clock, sort of like Prague. This one's a bit different:

I prefer Prague's, but this one doesn't have thousands of people gawking in front of it while ignoring the pickpockets in the crowd, so I guess they're even.

Olomouc is quite beautiful, but this was right before Spring really hit us, so it was raining like crazy for a while that day. Iain and Anna suggested that we go to the local mall, which provided hours of entertainment with bizarre Czech advertisements, ice cream, and a giant chocolate egg that we adopted.

I was kind of taken with this egg. It was 60 Kc, which is about $3. We split it between the three of us, and took care of it like it was our own. On the train back to the area where Anna's from, we took several photos of myself and the egg, which disturbed the other passengers on the train. We recently started eating it, but it didn't endure the heat of the last few weeks very well.

No comments: